What is Interlibrary Loan?
- A system that allows patrons from one library to borrow materials from another library.
- Items are mailed (or sometimes sent electronically) from the lending library to the requesting library and patrons are notified when the items arrive.
Is there a cost for an Interlibrary Loan?
- GGC students pay 15 cents per page for ILL articles (unless articles are delivered electronically and a link can be provided to the student).
- Occasionally, a lender will require a fee (usually $10-20) for Interlibrary Loans. This cost will be discussed with the student prior to placing the order and must be paid up front with Cave Cash placed on the student's Claw Card..
- GGC faculty and staff are not charged for ILLs.
What's the difference between GIL Express and Interlibrary Loan?
- GIL Express permits GGC students, faculty, and staff to request books from other University System of Georgia (USG) schools.
- Interlibrary Loan permits GGC students, faculty, and staff to request articles that may be obtainable from either a USG or non-USG institution, and books from non-USG academic institutions in the United States.
How do I know which service to use?
- Use GIL Express for books that are found in the GIL-Find Catalog and are available at a USG school other than GGC.
- Use Interlibrary Loan to request all articles or those books not available at another USG school.
How long does it take to get an Interlibrary Loan?
- Usually 1-2 weeks for an article and 2-3 weeks for other materials.
Where do I pick up my Interlibrary Loan?
- At the Circulation Desk in the Kaufman Library.
How long can I keep my Interlibrary Loan?
- Students may keep ILL articles once they have paid the per-page fee (if required).
- Faculty and staff may also keep their ILL articles.
- The loan periods for all other ILL materials vary with the lender.
- Renewals are sometimes not permitted by the lender.
- Call early to request a renewal: 678-407-5370 or 678-407-5317.
Can I borrow my textbooks via Interlibrary Loan?
- Current textbooks cannot be borrowed through Interlibrary Loan.
What happens if I lose or damage an Interlibrary Loan item?
- Please contact the Kaufman Library as soon as possible so we can determine the replacement and processing fees for the item.
- Also see the Fines and Fees page.
How do I request a book or article via Interlibrary Loan?