What is Interlibrary Loan?
- A system that allows patrons from one library to borrow materials from another library.
- Items are mailed (or sometimes sent electronically) from the lending library to the requesting library and patrons are notified when the items arrive.
Is there a cost for an Interlibrary Loan?
- GGC students pay 15 cents per page for ILL articles (unless articles are delivered electronically and a link can be provided to the student).
- Occasionally, a lender will require a fee (usually $10-20) for Interlibrary Loans. This cost will be discussed with the student prior to placing the order and must be paid up front.
- GGC faculty and staff are not charged for ILLs.
What's the difference between GIL Express and Interlibrary Loan?
- GIL Express permits GGC students, faculty, and staff to request books from other University System of Georgia (USG) schools.
- Interlibrary Loan permits GGC students, faculty, and staff to request articles that may be obtainable from either a USG or non-USG institution, and books from non-USG academic institutions in the United States.
How do I know which service to use?
- Use GIL Express for books that are found in the GIL Universal Catalog and are available at a USG school.
- Use Interlibrary Loan to request all articles or those books not available at a USG school.
How long does it take to get an Interlibrary Loan?
- Usually 1-2 weeks for an article and 2-3 weeks for other materials.
Where do I pick up my Interlibrary Loan?
- At the Circulation Desk in the Kaufman Library.
How long can I keep my Interlibrary Loan?
- Students may keep ILL articles once they have paid the per-page fee (if required).
- Faculty and staff may also keep their ILL articles.
- The loan periods for all other ILL materials vary with the lender.
- Renewals are sometimes not permitted by the lender.
- Call early to request a renewal: 678-407-5370 or 678-407-5317.
Can I borrow my textbooks via Interlibrary Loan?
- Textbooks cannot be borrowed through Interlibrary Loan.
What happens if I lose or damage an Interlibrary Loan item?
- Please contact the Kaufman Library as soon as possible so we can determine the replacement and processing fees for the item.
- Also see the Fines and Fees page.
How do I request a book or article via Interlibrary Loan?